Good morning! Today I’m taking part in the Fire Lines blog tour, and I’m delighted to share a guest post by Cara Thurlbourn!
My five favourite things about Émi
- I love Émi’s strong sense of what’s right and wrong. It doesn’t mean she always does the right thing, but she stands up for what she believes in and is very loyal to those around her, even if it puts her in danger.
- Émi’s impatience reminds me a little of me! When she decides she’s going to do something, there’s no changing her mind and she very much wants to ‘get on with it.’
- Her sense of wonder at the world around her is another thing I love about Émi, and it creates a lot of conflicting emotions in her. She’s always dreamed of going over the wall and seeing what’s out there but the circumstances she finds herself in are a complete shock. She’s been thrown into this dangerous journey and yet she can’t help taking in all the magickal things around her and marveling at how different everything is from where she grew up in Nhatu.
- Émi’s name is actually something I really struggled with but as soon as I came across it I knew it was ‘the one’! It’s based on an article I read about a West African theory that each person is made up of three elements – Ara (body), Emi (life-giving element/breath) and Ori (spirituality/destiny). That’s a really basic explanation but it sparked the idea of Emi and Ava being part of this thing that powers life, ie. The Fire Stone.
- My fifth thing is Émi’s ability to kick-butt! She hasn’t really shown her full strength yet and doesn’t quite believe in herself, but don’t worry, she will!
About The Book
When your blood line awakens, how do you choose between family and freedom?
Émi’s father used to weave beautiful tales of life beyond the wall, but she never knew if they were true. Now, her father is gone and Émi has been banished to the Red Quarter, where she toils to support herself and her mother – obeying the rules, hiding secrets and suffering the cruelties of the council’s ruthless Cadets.
But when Émi turns seventeen, sparks fly – literally. Her blood line surges into life and she realises she has a talent for magick… a talent that could get her killed.
Émi makes her escape, beyond the wall and away from everything she’s ever known. In a world of watchers, elephant riders and sorcery, she must discover the truth about who she really is. But can the new Émi live up to her destiny?
Fire Lines is written by Cara Thurlbourn and is due to be published by Bewick Press on 26th September 2017
Find out more on Goodreads or buy from Amazon
Sign up for Cara’s mailing list here for a chance to win in her giveaway and follow her on twitter!
Don’t forget to check out some other posts on the tour!